Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Everyday healthy salads!

We try to eat healthy every day. I have pretty much eliminated dairy and simple carbs from my diet because they just don't agree with me, and I don't really miss them. I cheat of course, especially when out for dinner or special occasions. It's not too hard since we are not really ones for sweets and cakes, but the dairy thing can be a challenge. I still eat cheese, but not often. Our meals are usually vegetable based, and then accompanied by some kind of meat, poultry or fish. I wanted to share some of my favorite lunch recipes. I make these for the kids to take to school as well.  They keep really well and don't get soggy.

Chickpea salad

There are many variations of this and you can get very creative with your additions, but this is a basic salad that you can dress up or down to your liking.

2 cans of Chickpeas ( Garbanzo beans)
1 small red onion diced
1 lime
2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped ( can be substituted with parsley)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced English cucumber
2 tomatoes seeded and diced
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 small red pepper diced ( optional)
1 jalepeno pepper diced ( optional)
salt and pepper to taste


Toss ingredients together in a bowl and let sit for 20 min covered in fridge before eating. That's all! So simple and refreshing and most of all, low calorie! This makes a great lunch or side dish.

Shepherd's Salad


1 English cucumber diced
3 tomatoes seeded and diced
3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
1/2 cup kalamata olives
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Toss together and it's just amazing. This is delicious in a pita pocket or wrap. It also goes very well with lamb dishes. Every time I serve this people comment on how good it is and it's just so simple and perfect. This also stands up well for a few hours in a lunch box.


While we are on salads, I will post a photo and my recipe for a black bean, corn, mango salsa that I made to go over my grilled Mahi Mahi tonight. This is also a 10 minute recipe that is full of flavor and nutrition.

Black bean, corn, mango salsa

This can absolutely be eaten as a salad alone, but is so incredible over fish. Here is what it looks like in the bowl:

2 ripened mangos diced
1 can of black beans ( or if you have time, soak dried beans overnight)
1 small red onion finely diced
1 1/2 cups of fresh corn ( I cut mine off the cob)
3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
juice of 2 fresh limes
1 tbsp lime zest
1/2 tspn honey
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tspn balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all together and let the flavors blend for about 20 min covered in the refrigerator. This is just so delicious. Eat is as a side dish or spoon over your favorite seared or grilled fillet. Goes extremely well with Mahi. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. That chickpea salad was delicious! I should have taken a picture of it. I loved it. That was a day of perfect food. Poached eggs in the morning, chickpea salad at lunch, and dinner at The Oyster Club which was unbelievable! Looking forward to another fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too!!! I just love making these 10 min salads that feel like meals. they are filling too. That was a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete